First and simplest is the blouse/chemise that I made to wear under my corset. The original pattern shows a black sheer v-neck top that covers the shoulders. It has gold Egyptian elements attached to it. So I knew I wanted a v-neck, low cut blouse, with gathered shoulders. I wanted to make it out of cotton or muslin, for comfort. I bought the sheerest black cotton I could find at my local store, which wasn't quite as sheer as I would have liked, but I was pressed for time. I contemplated draping the top, but again for time decided to use a pattern as a guide. I used Simplicity 2254 as a base pattern.
|This shows the sheer fabric, |
which doesn't really show up otherwise.
I decided not to add any metal Egyptian accents to the blouse, at least not right now. If I decide I'd like them there, I may add them later. I want the focus to be on the corset, not the chemise.
The underskirt as I last posted about it needed a couple of additions. I wanted to add some kind of gold trim to the bottom. I waited to do this until I had cut the gold fabric for the corset and the headdress, so I would know how much fabric I had left to work with. (Unfortunately this still created problems, as I had to remake the back panel of the corset and didn't have enough of the same gold to do so...lesson learned.) I debated what kind of trim to make. I considered a simple band of gold, ruched trim, etc, but I settled on pleated trim. Pleats seemed appropriate for an Ancient Egyptian styled costume. I don't have a huge amount of experience with pleated trims. Much as I love box pleats, for instance, I was concerned about time and my own skill level. So I settled on simple knife pleats, which also seemed more appropriate for an Egyptian mood. So I pleated and I pleated and I used nearly every inch of silk fabric I had to get the most pleat for my money. I used a thin satin ribbon to cover the stitching and I'm quite pleased with the effect.
I added one more thing to the hem of the train: a loop for holding the train up. I used gold fabric again (although this is from a non-matching dye batch) and simply sewed a wrist strap to the underside of the hem. I have always been afraid of making outfits with trains because I am terrified they will be stepped on or otherwise damaged, especially at crowded conventions. So this is a way for me to keep control of my skirts.
the use of decorative gears in steampunk.) Because of the size of these gears, I worked that transparent thread would be too noticeable, so I used E6000 to glue them on. The upper portion of the panel in the original has gold rays either painted or appliqued on, which I thought would be a perfect use of clock hands. These I both glued and sewed in place.
I originally intended to attach a waistband to the panel and wear it that way, but as this was one of the last pieces to be finished, I ran into a snag when my chronic back condition flared up and made sitting at a sewing machine extremely painful. I decided to simply bind the top edge and pin the panel in place under my corset for the time being. I should be able to ensure the placement is perfect that way at any rate.
Once again I find I have no room for the novel that I need to write about the headdress, so it looks like that piece IS getting it's own post.